We have been in business since 1869. The experience, customer orientation and industry knowledge gained through these years are our greatest assets. The relations and networks that we have built through the last 150 years are a testament to the viability and determination rooted in E. A. Smith.
E.A. Smith is founded by the 27-year-old ship captain, teacher and trade associate from Bærum, Elias Anton Smith.
On June 10th he is granted his trading citizenship with the magistrate in Trondheim. He starts a business where iron, hardware, oils and dyes, cement and coal for blacksmiths are the main commodity groups.
The company takes up residence at Munkegaten 39 by Ravnkloa, and purchases several neighbouring properties. Smith establishes his warehouse in the pier across the street, at Fjordgaten 82. The experienced iron merchant, Christian Thaulow, also resides at Ravnkloa. The area soon becomes a hotspot for trading and sales of iron and building materials in Mid-Norway.
In the years that follows, the company is growing and expanding. Significant revenue is generated, and several new employees are hired.
The founder Elias Anton Smith is struck by severe illness, but the family decides that the company should continue its operations.
His 22-year-old brother Lorentz Cappelen Smith is asked to step in as substitute manager. Lorentz is the youngest of ten siblings. He returns from Berlin where he recently started his career as a diplomat at the Norwegian legation.
Lorentz Cappelen Smith demonstrates his business skills by reducing the range of goods and discontinuing all retail sales.
The company is turned into a corporation. From now on, A/S E.A. Smith operates solely as a wholesale company.
Lorentz's mother, Ingeborg Anna Røvig Smith, steps in as Chair of the Board.
Our first subsidiary is founded. E.A. Smiths Jernlager AS is located in Kristiansund with offices and storage facilities at Storkaia 6. The property is later acquired by the company.
Lorentz Cappelen Smith is appointed as Swedish consul for Møre og Romsdal, the city of Trondheim and the Trøndelag counties.
A/S E.A Smith becomes a majority shareholder in, and later acquires the company Nordisk Metalaktieselskab – hence also the representation for Svenska Metalverken in Västerås.
One of A/S Verdalsbruget's warehouses at Brattøra and the neighbouring properties are purchased, and utilized as the company's main warehouse.
Kristiansund is struck by bombs, and the head office at Storkaia 6 is totally destroyed.
New and modern facilities are built on the plot after the war ends. They are put into use by 1947.
The company suffers greatly during the war. During the German state of emergency in 1942, it is announced that Lorentz Cappelen Smith, among other citizens, is to be arrested and executed.
By pure luck, Lorentz is travelling to Oslo just as the state of emergency is declared.
He escapes execution. Later he is apprehended and confined at the Grini prison camp until 1944.
To meet the great demands during the reconstruction of northern Norway, we establish A/S E.A Smiths Jernlager in Harstad.
A new, state-of-the-art steel warehouse is established at Ila pier, where we are renting a 4500 sqm. property from the Trondheim Havnevesen.
OUR NEW WAREHOUSE DRAWS ATTENTION FAR BEYOND THE BORDERS OF NORWAY
Facsimile from Adresseavisen 2/8-1957:
Representatives from Italy's largest iron and steel firm, Paolo Morassutti, visit E.A. Smith AS. American experts have told the Italians that the modern standard of the E.A Smith A/S warehouse at Ila pier is unparalleled in Europe and the states.
Two years before the company's centenary, Lorentz Cappelen Smith dies.
During his role as CEO for 55 years, he has turned the company into a leading industrial company, and one of the most significant commerce businesses in the country.
Lorentz Cappelen Smith is succeeded by his eldest son, Elias Anton Cappelen Smith, who was appointed Swedish consul after his father in 1959.
We build an additional large steel warehouse at Ila Pier, Ila II. The company now has a 14000 sqm. storage space in the Trondheim harbour area.
A/S E.A Smith celebrates its 100th year anniversary.
The digital age is also setting in. In cooperation with the local computer company Nor-Data A/S, our financial statements are transferred to Electronic Data Processing (EDP).
E.A. Cappelen Smith enthusiastically supported the establishment of Nor-Data, where A/S E.A Smith was involved on the ownership side. Nor-Data was renamed EDB Business Partner in the 2000s, and the company is now a part of TietoEVRY.
In collaboration with Nor-Data, we develop a modern digital online EDB system for warehouses, orders and invoicing.
The company expands its network of subsidiaries: E.A Smith Steinkjer A/S and E.A Smith Ålesund AS.
E.A Smith Sandnessjøen A/S
E.A Smith Bodø A/S
E.A Smith Tromsø A/S
The E.A Smith Foundation is founded.
E.A. Cappelen Smith steps down as CEO after a period of significant company growth, both technically and economically. A/S E.A Smith now emerges as a state-of-the-art company.
E.A. Cappelen Smith continues as Chairman, while Per Cappelen Smith steps in as the new CEO.
Nordisk Metal A/S moves out of the old Smith-pier at Ravnkloa, and into temporary warehouses and offices in our new building at Tempeveien.
The company builds new warehouses for ship plates in Øysand and enters a strategic partnership with Ila Jern A/S for slinging and cutting.
The company warehouses at Brattøra are sold to Trondheim Port. We buy 24 acres of land at Heggstadmoen, south of Heimdal city centre. The ship plate storage at Øysand is transferred to Heimdal.
Our construction and steel departments are demerged as separate companies.
A/S E.A Smith is now the parent company of the Group with central administrative functions.
We further develop the Heimdal property. An office building for E.A Smith Bygg A/S and Nordisk Metal A/S, and warehouses for Nordisk Metal A/S are built on the plot.
Tempevegen is sold and Nordisk Metal A/S is moved to Heimdal.
We acquire our own data facility, and discontinue the rental of data services from Nor-Data A/S.
Per Cappelen Smith resigns as CEO.
Under his leadership, the Group has undergone a period of consolidation following the strong development phase in the early 70s.
He also led the reorganization of our companies and the extensive development at the new large Smith Centre at Heimdal.
Siviløkonom Jarle Lysklett steps in as the first CEO who is is not related to the Cappelen Smith family.
Fjordgaten 82, known as the "Smith Pier", is sold.
Trond R. Reinertsen, the nephew of the new owners, buys A-shares and joins the board.
E.A. Cappelen Smith steps down from the board, and Per Cappelen Smith is appointed as the new Chairman.
E.A. Smith assembles its operations in Trondheim in two locations.
E.A. Smith moves from Ravnkloa, where the company's head office have been located for more than 120 years, to the new facilities in Heimdal.
Nordisk Metal AS moves to Ila pier and coordinates its operations with E.A Smith Stål AS.
We build a new joint office building for both companies, closely connected to the warehouses. This is now one of the largest and most extensive steel and metal centres in Norway.
E.A Smith Bygg AS now utilizes the entire modern storage facility at Heimdal as a new base for building materials, lumber and reinforcing steel.
E.A Smith Bygg AS establishes the Bygger'n chain, with 22 stores in the Mid- and Northern Norway
E.A. Smith's sales and marketing operations are gathered in two divisions,
- a division for building materials/lumber with E.A. Smith Bygg AS as divisional manager
- a division of steel/metals with shared responsibility between E.A Smith Stål and Nordisk Metal AS.
The unification of our main steel and metals companies is completed by establishing E.A. Smith Stål og Metall AS through a merger between E.A. Smith Stål AS and Nordisk Metal AS.
E.A. Smith purchases the Fundia's rebar department in Trondheim, and strengthens it's market position in rebar. The business is relocated to Heimdal in 1996.
E.A. Smith Bygg AS purchases the tool wholesaler Nerdahl & CO AS, and is now able to provide the customers at Bygger'n with a wider selection of tools.
E.A Smith Bygg AS's warehouse in Heimdal catches on fire. Half of the warehouse burns to the ground. The rebuilding phase lasts six months, and the new warehouse is completed during the summer of 1996.
The Nerdahl tools department is moved from Nyhavna to new facilities at Heggstadmoen 13.
On July 1st 1997, the company is merged with E.A. Smith Bygg AS.
The rebar business is moved to new facilities at Heimdal.
Trond R. Reinertsen steps in as Chairman after Per Cappelen Smith.
In May, Consul Elias A. Cappelen Smith dies. He had several key roles in the company since 1937; primarily as CEO from 1967-1975, and later as Chairman till 1990.
Bygger'n Namsos is purchased by van Severeen, and profiled as Bygger'n Namsenbygg.
Bygger'n Heimdal is opened.
The Bygger'n chain becomes a nationwide chain in cooperation with L.A. Lund. Bygger'n Norway AS is established as the main office.
Trond R. Reinertsen steps in as CEO, and continues as Chairman of the Board.
Bygger'n Ålesund is established in new facilities at Holsletta.
The steel business continues its operations in Breivika.
E.A Smith acquires Rieber Stål's steel division in Bergen, and gains a stronger position in the steel market.
Bygger'n Lade is established.
Bygger'n Orkdal is established by acquisition of Kvernmo Bruk's building materials division in Orkanger.
Bygger'n Meldal is established as part of E.A. Smith Orkladal AS. A new steel facility is built.
Bygger'n Stokmarknes is established through acquisition.
Bygger'n Oppdal is established through the acquisition of Olav Solberg AS building materials in Oppdal.
Bygger'n Brønnøysund and the Sømna department is acquired by E.A. Smith.
Norgesspiker'n is purchased in Ålesund.
Smith Stålbygg is established at Ila.
In early 2001, E.A. Smith enters into a strategic alliance with the Dikema Group to gain a stronger position in the west of Norway. The Smith company Smith Rieber Stål AS and Dikema's operations in Bergen, Haugesund and Sandnes are assembled into one company; Smith Dikema Stål AS. The company is later renamed Smith Stål Vest AS.
Bygger'n Mosjøen is established by E.A. Smith.
Bygger'n Sunndalsøra is established as a E.A. Smith department.
Bygger'n Bodø is moved into a new building.
Bygger'n Steinkjer is established through the expansion of E.A. Smith Steinkjer's premises.
Bygger'n Hitra re-established, and the new facilities at Fillan are completed in 2004.
Bygger'n Stranda is acquired.
E.A. Smith buys a 34 percent share in Bygger'n Eid.
L.A. Lund exits its partnership with E.A. Smith and the Bygger'n chain. In addition, they discontinue their ownership in Bygger'n Vest Hiba and Bygger'n Norway AS, which is now 100% owned by Smith. A partnership agreement is signed with Løvenskiold.
E.A. Smith buys a 34 percent share in Bygger'n Vadsø.
Smith Stål Vest AS moves into new, modern facilities at Straume, Bergen.
The alliance between Smith and Dikema is ended.
E.A. Smith establishes a production of steel buildings through acquisition of facilities in Stordalen. The business is later ceased in 2011.
Plusstål, with Smith as a 50 percent shareholder, gains a new partner as the Johan Vinje's steel business is sold to Rukki.
Bygger'n Verdal is established.
E.A. Smith buys a 50 percent share in Bygger'n Otta.
The Eastern department for rebar production at Tranby is established.
Reopening of Bygger'n Heimdal.
In October, E.A. Smith acquires all shares in Scancoil AS, in Horten. Scancoil is a steel service center specializing in thin plate products in Norway and Sweden.
Bygger'n Karmøy and Bygger'n Haugesund are acquired from Odd Hansen AS.
Bygger'n Åndalsnes is established in new premises.
Bygger'n Drammen is established in new premises by the E18 road.
Re-opening of Builder Orkanger in new premises.
E.A. Smith buys Vestfold Jernlager at Bentsrud near Holmestrand in February.
The company is renamed Smith Stål Øst AS, and plays a key role in strengthening E. A. Smith's position as a full range steel wholesaler in the Eastern region. Smith Stål Øst AS now enables a nationwide supply of commercial steel and rebar products.
Bygger'n Stord is established in a collaboration with Bygger'n Os. The store is fully owned by E.A. Smith by 2010.
Bygger'n Forus is established.
Bygger'n Veggli is acquired.
Bygger'n Stavset opens in April.
On November 1st, 2010, E.A. Smith completes the merger of fully owned subsidiaries (with a few exceptions) into the parent company, E.A.Smith AS. The merger contributes to a more simplified and streamlines company structure. The subsidiaries are formally terminated as legal entities, but still continues to operate as independent departments.
Bygger'n Malm is acquired.
Bygger'n Rognan, Medby is acquired.
Bygger’n Evje is acquired.
Properties and operations at Bygger'n Vågå and Bygger'n Lakselv are acquired.
E.A. Smith buys the shares in Bentsrudveien 3/6 Eiendom AS, where Smith Stål Øst resides.
The transition to a new ERP platform is proving to be resource-intensive.
The rebar company at Tranby is moved to Holmestrand.
Jutvika Utbygging AS is established in collaboration with Veidekke, in order to develop the plot area at Innlandet in Kristiansund.
The company is improving its profitability despite a significant loss in oil investments.
Bygger'n Tromsø is opened in new premises in Alkeveien.
Trond Reinertsen steps down as CEO. He is replaced by Arne Reinertsen.
A new department store is opened in Os, in the outskirts of Bergen.
Bygger'n Onstad, Fåvang, Sør Fron, Ørsta and Aukra are acquired, while E.A. Smith invests in Lindal Wood industry and opens a new warehouse in Stokmarknes.
Simultaneously, a new cleaning and priming plant is installed in Holmestrand.
A new easy-to-use e-commerce portal is established for the Bygger'n chain.
Smith Stål takes over 13000 sqm. port area at Horten Havn.
During its 150th year as a company, E.A. Smith acquires the company Trebygg AS (Bygger'n Svolvær) and XL Bygg Haslestad.
Maxbo Stord is acquired and merged with Bygger'n Stord.
A new facility is opened at Veggli, while a major construction project is launched at Bygger'n Eid. Several properties are acquired at Oppdal to aid in the expansion of Bygger'n Oppdal. The first Pre-cut saw is installed at Storås.